I love reading. Reading about the importance of getting my kids outside is the best of both worlds, and I’m always finding new ideas or new inspiration to spend more time in nature. If the cold wind has you holing up, these books are perfect for reading while the kids play but also good to motivate you to layer up and get outside, too!
Amazon has a $5 off $20 coupon right now so I thought it was perfect timing to get this post published; use coupon GIFTBOOK17 at checkout to qualify, orffer expires at 11:59 p.m. (PT) November 26, 2017. Local to Des Moines, don’t forget all the brick & mortar shops you can stop in and support in our community, as shared in this local gift guide!
[Lots of these links are affiliate links, which means you pay the same price but I get a small cut – thanks for supporting DSMOF!]
This first section is more research oriented, although they do include lots of tips and activities as well. I love reading anecdotes as well as parenting recommendations rooted in research; these are all either on my ‘wish list’ or already in my library and well loved!
- Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children From Nature-Deficit Disorder
- There’s No Such Thing as Bad Weather: A Scandinavian Mom’s Secrets for Raising Healthy, Resilient, and Confident Kids
- The Down and Dirty Guide to Camping with Kids: How to Plan Memorable Family Adventures and Connect Kids to Nature
- How to Raise a Wild Child: The Art and Science of Falling in Love with Nature
The second section focuses more on activity books. While I’m a huge proponent of just walking and exploring, letting kids get a little bored and use their imagination, there are plenty of times when I’d like to do a craft or science experiment just the same. Silly games or pretend play prompts can be the perfect lure when kids are reluctant to get bundled up. I’ve read through all of these, and hope to start on the outdoor workbook in 2018!
- A Little Bit of Dirt: 55+ Science and Art Activities to Reconnect Children with Nature
- The Nature Connection: An Outdoor Workbook for Kids, Families, and Classrooms
- I Love Dirt!: 52 Activities to Help You and Your Kids Discover the Wonders of Nature
- Kids’ Outdoor Adventure Book: 448 Great Things to Do in Nature Before You Grow Up
Did I miss any of your favorites? Let me know and I’ll happily add them!